THE STETSON KINDRED OF AMERICA, INC.
2019 SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM INSTRUCTIONS
Scholarship Program Summary
The Scholarship Committee awards 2-3 scholarships a year to students of any age who are enrolled full-time in a program of higher education, demonstrate academic achievement and financial need, and meet the eligibility requirements outlined below.
1) The Stetson Kindred of America General Scholarship. One or two annual scholarships may be awarded from this fund, in the name of the corporation, to applicants selected by the SKOA Scholarship Committee.
2) The Cornet Robert and Honour Stetson Scholarship. This scholarship is restricted to a graduating senior from Norwell High School and is awarded to a worthy student selected by the Norwell High School guidance staff.
The amount of each scholarship varies depending on available funds, but awards are usually in the area of $500 or more per recipient.
Applications are accepted starting March 1 of any given year, and must be received no later than June 1. Selected recipients will be notified by the Scholarship Committee in early August, and the awards announced at the Annual Meeting of the Membership at The Homestead, Stetson Shrine Lane, Norwell, MA on the third Sunday in August.
1) Must be a full-time student enrolled in a degree or certificate program in higher education or training at an accredited college, post-secondary or career/vocational institution.
2) Must have completed high school. High school seniors are eligible but must provide proof of admission and intent to matriculate if they plan to enter their first year at an accredited college or vocational institution.
3) Applicants may be of any age; there is no upper age limit.
4) Repeat applications will only be considered if adequate funds are available. Repeat applicants must submit current transcripts and references. The maximum number of scholarships awarded to any one person is limited to two.
1) A completed, signed and dated Application for Scholarship must be received by the Scholarship Committee no later than June 1. Applicants must use the Proper Form or submissions will not be considered. If you wish to have one mailed to you, you may call or e-mail the Committee Chair listed on page 2 of these instructions. If using email, please indicate “Scholarship Application Request” in the subject line. SKOA Scholarship Application Instructions
2) Application Attachment Checklist for Applicants:
- High school transcript (for HS seniors), OR most recent college transcript (for matriculating students). (Student photocopy acceptable.)
- Proof of admission acceptance and intent to matriculate; OR proof of current matriculation (most recent grade transcript is sufficient, as in #1 above).
- Student statement of Career Goals and Interests.
- Two letters of reference from sources other than family or SKOA members, one of which must be academic, sent directly by the reference to the Scholarship Committee Chair. Letters must be on appropriate business letterhead and/or have a return address and current contact information.
Submission of Application and Supporting Documentation
All applications must be received no later than June 1, and supporting documentation no later than June 30 for consideration of a scholarship award in August of that year. Please list any supporting documentation that will be sent separately at the bottom of page 2 of the application. Applicants will be notified when their application is received. It is the student’s responsibility to insure their application is complete, signed and dated, and to perform appropriate follow-up to insure all reference letters and transcripts have been received by the Scholarship Committee by the set deadlines. If you move/change your mailing/e-mail address and/or phone number, please be sure to notify us of the change so we can contact you, or your application and/or any scholarship award may be considered abandoned.
Applications with incomplete documentation will not be considered.
All applications, transcripts and references should be mailed to:
Ms. Diane O’Brien
SKOA Scholarship Committee Chair
7 Ferndale Drive, Halifax, MA 02338
If you have any questions or wish to have an application form mailed to you, please contact one of the following:
Diane O’Brien, Scholarship Committee Chairperson, Ladydi03230@yahoo.com,
Linda Brooks, SKOA Secretary, email@example.com,