Scholarship Program Summary
The Scholarship Committee has scholarships available to students of any age who are enrolled full-time in a program of higher education, demonstrate academic achievement and financial need, and meet the eligibility requirements, as follows:
The Stetson Kindred of America General Scholarship. Two scholarships of $1000 each may be awarded in the name of the corporation, to applicants selected by the SKOA Scholarship Committee.
We also sponsor one Scholarship specifically for a graduating senior of Norwell High School as follows:
- The Cornet Robert and Honour Stetson Scholarship. One scholarship in the amount of $500 is awarded each year to a graduating senior of Norwell High School, selected by the school guidance staff.
Eligibility Requirements for General Scholarships
- Must be a full-time student enrolled in a degree or certificate program in higher education or training at an accredited college, post-secondary or career/vocational institution.
- Must have completed high school. High school seniors are eligible but must provide proof of admission and intent to matriculate if they plan to enter their first year at an accredited college or vocational institution.
- Applicants may be of any age; there is no upper age limit.
- Repeat applications are considered if the first application does not result in a scholarship award. Repeat applicants must submit current transcripts and references. Scholarship awards are limited to one per person during a lifetime.
1) A completed, signed and dated Application for Scholarship must be received by the Scholarship Committee no later than June 1. Applicants must use the proper form which can be found at the top of this page or submissions will not be considered. If you wish to have one mailed to you, you may call or e-mail the Committee Chair listed on page 2 of these instructions. If using e-mail, please indicate “Scholarship Application Request” in the subject line.
2) Application Attachment Checklist for Applicants:
- High school transcript (for HS seniors), OR most recent college transcript (for matriculating students). (Student photocopy acceptable.)
- Proof of admission acceptance and intent to matriculate; OR proof of current matriculation (most recent grade transcript is sufficient, as in #1 above).
- Student statement of Career Goals and Interests.
- Two letters of reference from sources other than family or SKOA members, one of which must be academic, sent directly by the reference to the Scholarship Committee Chair. Letters must be on appropriate business letterhead and/or have a return address and current contact information.
Applications are accepted starting March 1 of any given year, and must be received no later than June 1. Selected recipients will be notified by the Scholarship Committee in July, and the awards announced at the Annual Meeting of the Membership at The Homestead, Stetson Shrine Lane, Norwell, MA on the third Sunday in August. Checks are distributed either at the Annual Meeting if the recipient is present, or mailed to them shortly after the meeting.
Submission of Application and Supporting Documentation
All applications must be received no later than June 1, and supporting documentation no later than June 30 for consideration of a scholarship award in July of that year. Please list any supporting documentation that will be sent separately at the bottom of page 2 of the application. Applicants will be notified when their application is received. It is the student’s responsibility to insure their application is complete, signed and dated, and to perform appropriate follow-up to insure all reference letters and transcripts have been received by the Scholarship Committee by the set deadlines. If you move/change your mailing/e-mail address and/or phone number, please be sure to notify us of the change so we can contact you, or your application and/or any scholarship award may be considered abandoned.
Applications with incomplete documentation will not be considered.
All applications, transcripts and references should be addressed and mailed to:
Mr. Rick Stetson
SKOA Scholarship Committee
168 Cobb Ridge Road, Millbrook, AL 36054
If you have any questions or wish to have an application form mailed to you, please contact Rick Stetson or Linda Brooks at email@example.com.